The main scientific goal of the project UCLIMESA is to analyse the characteristics of the Urban Heat Island (UHI) over the city of Bucharest, both under the present climate conditions and in the long-term climate change perspective (2021-2050), by integrating data retrieved from satellite imagery, ground-based meteorological stations, and other sources (e.g. urban sensors, field experiments).
- To collect data relevant for the UHI examination from satellite products and ground measurements
- To developing a geodatabase and a Geographical Information System (GIS)
- To study the relationships between the Land Surface Temperature (LST) and other variables in the urban area
- To downscale Regional Climate Models (RCM) data to urban scale under the A1B IPCC scenario
- To assess the characteristics of the Bucharest’s UHI under present and future climate conditions